Monday 13 January 2014

Long exposure and light paintings

Long exposure and light paintings 

What is long exposure?
  Long exposure is the method of capturing an image whilst movement occurs in order to create a blur, smear or obscurity.  This is done with having little light in the camera by having a large aperture value and the use of a long exposure on the camera (anything from one minute upwards), in order to capture the movement. 

When can we use it in real world context?
   Long exposure is most commonly use in water photography allowing the water movement to be captured and appear with a mist-like quality yet keeping the land surrounding the water sharp. Long exposure is also used to create night photograph, which is produced in the night time yet to create a daytime effect in the photo. Also there is light paintings, where the scene is kept very dark in order to capture little movement of pen lights to create a pattern.



 To introduce ourselves better to the idea of time lapses and how they work, we started by focusing on creating images using long exposure in practice for creating a time lapse. To experiment this, I would first explore the technique on my own. Here are some of the images I captured while experimenting long exposure:



  After creating my long exposure images on my own, I then set up the studio in order to take some more images. However, in the studio I used long exposures to create light paintings. Here are some of the images I took: 


No comments:

Post a Comment